09 August 2013

Fort Delaware

This past weekend we did something I have wanted to do ever since we moved here: we took a ferry over to Pea Patch Island and toured Fort Delaware.  
Fun on the Ferry!
Yes, I really have wanted to do this and yes, it was really cool!  Things I learned:

  • Pea Patch Island really was made by peas.  A cargo ship carrying peas crashed and spilled a bunch of peas all over the place.  The peas sprouted and made the island what it is today.
  • Fort Delaware dates back to the 1850s.  It was originally constructed to defend the ports of Wilmington and Philadelphia.  During the Civil War it housed Confederate prisoners of war.
Ty and Baby Hannah-the Blue and the Gray
  • The entire fort is surrounded by a moat.  The walls are stone and brick and we were impressed by how solid the fort still is.
Inside the Fort
Tyler at home in his blacksmith shop with Baby Hannah the Apprentice
  • We got to watch a cannon fire demo.  Loud and impressive, and it was only 1 pound of powder (it takes 10 pounds to fire an actual cannon).
Exploring the Fort
  • They do really pricey ghost tours at the Fort.  Actually, I'm amazed at how many 'ghost hunters' are out here in Delaware City!  I don't think I'll ever do this part of the tour, unless Chloe and/or Emma come out and visit again :).
I love this fort!
Hats off to Delaware City for having such a cool fort to tour!  We had a great time.

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I love all of the history that is back east. You and Tyler are so great for soaking up all of the awesome sites over there. I love you and miss you tons! I'm mailing off a birthday present for Baby Han today, hope you get it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of you and Hannah is the best! So cute. Happy birthday little girl!
    -Christine

    ReplyDelete