27 July 2013

The Dark Side of Delaware: Cicada Killer Wasps

You read right, folks.  There is a species flying around right now, outside of my windows, called the cicada killer, and it looks like a wasp from Jurassic Park.  I'm not joking.
This really is how big they are.  No, I did not take this picture personally. Do you think I'm mad?!?
Ty asks why Hannah and I don't go out much.  It's because these things are swarming the streets!  I mean, goodness gracious who wants to take a stroll down the block when you have to dodge this flying through the air!
Another pic from the internet.  Don't expect me to get close enough to these things to take a picture, folks.
They are the grossest things ever.  Luckily, Wikipedia told me that they should only last until mid-September.  Wikipedia also told me that they are "generally non-aggressive towards humans and usually fly away when swatted at instead of attacking."  However, a citation was needed for that so...I don't know what to believe.

All I know is that I HATE wasps.  Blegheghegheghegh.

3 comments:

  1. Wow those are Ginormous!! I haven't seen any of those around us... fingers crossed I never will!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bleh! Those are terrifying :) Hang in and don't swat at any of 'em. I wonder if you could get that great white foam spray that dad always used on wasps when we were kids....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you looked these up. That day I had to protect Hannah cause one of those things flew at us! I was trying to tell you how giant that bee was, i'm glad I wasn't exaggerating. SICK!!!!

    ReplyDelete