14 July 2014

Hannah Sings and Plants Grow

Life has been good lately.  Hot, but good.  Hannah's new favorite activity is singing songs.  She can't really hold a tune, but boy can that girl memorize.  Tyler and I are astounded at the variety of songs she knows (from CCR to Bert and Ernie to Amazing Grace).  Her favorites are the children's classics--ABCs, Twinkle Twinkle, Eensy Weensy Spider, and Old MacDonald.  But she loves them all.


We also put in a garden this year, huzzah!  As many of you know, we tried gardening in pots last year and didn't quite achieve what we wanted (like, two tough tomatoes? weak).  This year, we tried to get a community plot.  But they were all full.  So we decided to just use our weedy backyard.  The giant tree had been cut down, so we had plenty of sunlight, and our neighbor let us borrow his tiller so Ty went to town.  I'm not sure if it's my sorry lack of a green thumb or the fact that it rains buckets out here and is so humid and plant-friendly, but I have never seen garden plants like those growing in our back yard.  Seriously, our squash and gourd plants are almost 20 feet long and have climbed the fence.  They're huge!!!  And things grow by the hour.  I swear.  That means that the pictures I am about to post aren't even accurate (they were taken, after all, a week ago and so things are now 1-3 feet longer) but it will give you an idea of our garden success :).  We have so far feasted on spinach, lettuce, jalapenos (who knew one jalapeno plant could give so much?), radishes, cucumbers and zucchinis.  The tomatoes are green on the vine, and some cute gourds and pumpkins are already making their appearance!  Tyler is the dedicated gardener.  He cares for those plants like nothing else, weeding, fertilizing, organizing...he even made a little hammock for a pumpkin hanging on the fence (so the pumpkin won't get too heavy and prematurely fall off the vine).  What a man.

Ohkay, I'll stop talking about our garden.  Hope you are enjoying summer produce too!!!  Love, the green thumb Kelleys :)
Our little garden
The squash take over
Pumpkins-I can't get over how huge these plants are!
Tomato, pumpkin, and jalapeno lovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment