07 August 2016

Mediterranean Trip Part III: Oh Sicilia!

Our next stop was Catania on the island of Sicily. After our day of Malta car rental excitement, we decided to hire a driver to take us around Sicily. We hired a Sicilian named Salvo thanks to the awesome translating skills of my bro-in-law. He sat pilot and entertained our driver and himself as we navigated the island.
On the road with Etna smoking in the bg.
Our first stop: Mount Etna. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with volcanoes, but I am. I love their awesome power, and it intimidates me to no end to think that towns and cities can be wiped out by these mountains of destruction. This trip we got to visit two, and Mt. Etna was the first.
Overlooking Catania
Etna is huge. It's one of the most active volcanoes in the world (thanks Wikipedia!) and was definitely smoking when we were there. We took plenty of pictures, hiked around some craters, and oogled at the amount of lava rock spewed around this massive mountain.
An unfortunate house caught in a lava flow



Next stop, Taormina. Taormina is a quaint little tourist town along the coast with beautiful beaches and a history that stretches back before 734 BC. Crazy. It was fun to walk the town, explore the crooked alleyways, and eat the Sicilian way.


Eating my gelato "the Sicilian way" in a brioche bun.

One from Salvo's roadside photo shoot
That coast, tho <3

The cacti! So many cacti on Greece and Malta and Sicily! I couldn't believe it.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! Looks like the trip of a lifetime. What an awesome family!

    ReplyDelete